RTS Ad

RTS Ad

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Salad Spinner Spin Art


This is a fun idea for creating art using the salad spinner that I picked up from Goodwill the other day for 99 cents. I've been wanting to try this project for a long time, but I never wanted to spend full price on a salad spinner, so I was really excited that Goodwill had a stash of four or five of them for super cheap! This idea came from Chasing Cheerios, but we modified it a bit and used washable tempera paint instead of food coloring.


We chose three colors of paint and watered it down a lot. I'd say it was probably a 50/50 mix of water and paint or maybe just a little less water than 50/50. I made sure that the boys chose paint colors that would still look nice when they were all mixed together.

First and foremost, I have to remind everyone that if you're going to try salad spinner art COVER YOUR WORK AREA because it gets messy! We used a kitchen sized plastic garbage bag under us, and it made for easy clean up later. I cut circle shapes from regular computer paper (I didn't try any other paper, but I'd guess that construction paper would be too absorbent to get a nice spin on the paint) and put them into the spinner basket. I had the boys use old medicine droppers to drip on the paint, so they also got a nice refresher lesson on how to use the droppers since we hadn't used them in awhile.




We started out with just a few drops of paint, but the results were actually better when we used more paint. I'd say that we used about 5-6 full droppers on our prettiest paintings.


The first few times we spun the art I let the kids do it, but as more and more paint started to build up in the basket and on the work area, I took over spin duty to keep it a little bit cleaner.
I also found that you don't want to spin it too fast/too much or your watery paint will just fly off the paper, and you'll end up with lighter and more washed out results.

Ha ha, he's actually saying "Wow, LOOOOOK!" here, hence the funny face. This is also a fantastic lesson on color mixing. The boys were beyond thrilled that they created an entire rainbow of colors with only three colors of paint.



Teamwork is also a good lesson when there's only one salad spinner!

See, I told you it gets messy!

3 comments:

Looks like your little guys are having so much fun. This reminds me of when I was a little girl in the 1950's and we'd go to the carnival. There was a booth where you could create a "spinning painted artwork" piece and I loved it!! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Such fun and so so cute!!!! Love it!!! This reminded me so much of when my sons were little. I was always getting them to try crafty things!!! LOL One loved it, the other didin't...Enjoy them at that age, it goes by so so fast!!!!!!

Oh! This is such a cool idea! I know my four-year-old would love this too! Thank you for the inspiration, Kristin :)